Significant changes are proposed to the regulations that control how we handle, store and manage hazardous substances in the workplace. Most these changes are effective from 1 Dec 2017.
A brief summary of the changes are
- Approved handlers will be known as certified handlers and these handlers are only required for explosives, fumigants, poisons and other highly toxic substances
- Safety data sheets (SDS) must be held and abbreviated copies are sufficient
- Training – all employees who are at risk from hazardous substances should receive training and this may be completed internally
- Inventory is required to be maintained and include name, UN number, quantity, location, storage requirements
- Emergency response – strengthened to include SDS info, register and plan
- Labelling – on all containers including waste and stationery tanks
- Worksafe NZ take over from EPA the responsibility for workplace enforcement and rules
If you would like a more detailed summary then please email us email@example.com and we will forward you the relevant information.